selectByIndex( ) command is used to select the list option using the specified Index of the List Option from the multi-selection Box field.
Index value starts from 0.
- If you specify the Index value as 0, the First List option in the Multi-Selection Box will get selected
- If you specify the Index value as 1, the Second List option in the Multi-Selection Box will get selected
- And so on....
In order to use the selectByIndex( ) command, we have to create an object for Select class of selenium as shown below:
Select select = new Select(_driver.findElement(By.cssPath("CSS Path of Multi-Select Box field")));
After creating an object for Select Class, you can get the selectByIndex( ) predefined method of Select Class by using its object select as shown below:
select.selectByIndex(0); -> This will select the first list option
select.selectByIndex(1); -> This will select the second list option
Understand the test description by reading the comments mentioned on the below screenshot:
Lets Implement This:
1. Create a new Java Project say 'WebDriver-Project46' in Eclipse IDE
2. Configure the Project to work with Selenium WebDriver
3. Create a package say 'package46' under the newly created project.
4. Create a Java Class file say 'Class46' under the newly created package as shown below:
1. Write the following code into the newly created Java Class file as shown below and make sure that you resolve all the errors before going to next step:
2. Write the test method 'selectByIndexDemo( )' which uses CSS Path Statement for locating the Multi-Selection Box field as shown below:
3. Save and Run the 'Class46.java' file by selecting the 'JUnit Test' option and ensure that our Automation Test has selected more than one list options (i.e. First and second list options) from the Multi-select Box field as shown in the below video:
Watch the below video:
Click here to watch the video.
Download this Project:
Click here to download this project and import into Eclipse IDE on your machine.
Please comment below to feedback or ask questions.
Using deselectByIndex( ) command to deselect any list option using its Index value from the Multi Select Box field will be explained in the next post.